Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The first post.

So, I wanted to write about wine from the perspective of a recent college graduate.



I guess I can start with a little about myself: My name is Tom and I live in the 'burbs of Philadelphia. I graduated with a BA/BS dual degree from the University of Pennsylvania in May, 2007. I work fulltime for a non-profit organization as well as for a small wine shop on the weekends. I am a HUGE sports fan. If I'm not talking wine, I'm talking sports. If it happens in Philadelphia, I am a fan of it. Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, NCAA Basketball (The Big 5 + Drexel = my passion even though my Quakers are not going to break .500 in Ivy play thus breaking my heart). I love NCAA football, too, but Philly isn't an NCAA Div I football powerhouse, so my interest is more of a general fan standpoint rather than specific team based.



Now that we have my intro out of the way, let's get down to business...wine. I got the idea for this blog from Gary Vaynerchuk, the vlog host of Wine Library TV (http://www.winelibrarytv.com/). He often talks about the CKC ("College Kid Crew") and how it is often an underrepresented and overlooked segment of the wine market. Since I love wine, like to write, and I still fall into the CKC technically (graduate classes) I figured why not? Someone might like to hear what I have to say.



I think the focus of the blog will be mostly on lower-priced wines that college kids might find enjoyable over, say, Natty Light pounders. I'll try to focus on reviewing and recommending wines under $20 that I've tried personally and that I feel would have broad appeal amongst those aged 21-25 or so. I will likely talk about things other than wine, such as vodka, sports, and finance, but wine will definitely be the focus.





I'm far from a wine expert. In fact, while I try to taste as many different kinds of wines as is financially possible, I would still consider myself to be very much a beginner in the wine world. I will be trying wine varietals for the first time and reporting back.

No comments: