Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pizza, $6 wine, college basketball!

So, Mother Nature blasts the Philly area with an ice storm right at 5PM last night. So, on my 1.5 hour trek to pick up my girlfriend from work I decided to stop at Total Wine mainly to get out of the weather and to let the roads clear up a bit. While there, I saw that they are now carrying the 2006 Altos Las Hormigas Bonarda Colonia Las Liebres that Gary Vaynerchuk pushed in this episode. He scored it 87 points and winelibrary.com sells it for $4.99. Total Wine had it for $5.99, so I figured that I'd pick up a few bottles.

Review:

Nose: Somewhat closed. Some alcohol coming through, some black fruit.
Taste: High acidity, moderate fruit, firm-to-harsh tannins. Pomegranate on the finish (normally I don't pick up what GV says in his notes, but this is obvious). Tasty but I felt it was a bit off-balance, especially the tannins.
Body: Medium body with a decent mouthfeel. Not quite silky but not overly harsh.
Score: 85 points.

$6 for an 85 point heavy red? Nice! It's definitely better than $7 for a 75 point Yellow Tail.

Try and find it! You can get it from winelibrary.com, but you're looking at about $9-10 a bottle with shipping, and that's pushing the QPR on this one. If you're on the east coast and can get to a Total Wine, I'd strongly recommend it!

What to drink it with? NCAA Basketball, of course! Well, if that's not your thing, it'd go just as well with some NASCAR or some American Idol. I drank it by itself, but I'd think it'd go amazing with some pizza or a burger. It'll neautralize the tannins a bit and hopefully let out the underlying delicious fruit.

-TG

No comments: